Happy Valentine’s Day!!
I refuse to make this pie because it has a lot of calories and fat!! IE, No picture!!! But if you would like to try this recipe, your Valentine would love you all day long, and then some!! It is very rich, so watch out!
CHOCOLATE BAVARIAN CREAM PIE
1 pie shell baked ( I add nuts into the pastry for that crunch)
1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
4 oz of high quality chocolate bar ( sweet, milk)
3 egg yolks beaten
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites stiffly beaten
1 cup of heavy cream softly whipped
1) Soak and soften gelatin in cold water in small bowl
2) Melt chocolate over double boiler till melted, take off heat and set aside
3) Prepare custard sauce by combining egg yolks and sugar in a bowl of a mixer and beat until thick and light
4) Scald the milk in a double boiler
5) With the mixer running at low speed, very gradually and slowly( don’t let it scramble) pour the scalded milk into the egg yolk mixture
6) Pour the mixture back into the double boiler. Heat it slowly, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
7) Add gelatin mixture , the melted chocolate, and the vanilla. Combine and stir
8) Take off heat and cool over a bowl of crushed ice, stirring to keep mixture smooth
9) Whip egg whites with mixer till stiffly beaten
10) With rubber spatula, fold in beaten egg whites by starting at the bottom of the bowl and lightly folding into custard in a circular motion. Do not whip in!
11) Whip heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. Do not overbeat!
12) Fold into chocolate mixture softly
13) Pour in pie shell and refrigerate
Have a Happy Day!!!