Something to add to your Tea Party as a complement to your fine china and tea. Just slice and serve.
DATE ALMOND APRICOT TEA BREAD
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 0z 0f pitted dates (cut in small pieces)
- 3-1/2 oz of dried apricots (cut in small pieces)
- 1/2 cup of slice almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of orange rind
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup of milk or cream
- 1/2 cup of ricotta cheese (note: there I go with the ricotta cheese again. I use it to use up what I have in the refrigerator, plus it adds moisture and freshness. You can use sour cream instead, if you like!)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons of flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cups sliced almonds
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl combine the dates, the apricots, the chopped almonds, and the orange rind and set aside.
- Take another bowl and beat the egg, the orange juice, the 1/2 cup of milk or cream, the ricotta cheese, the canola oil, and the almond extract together till smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir till just moistened.
- Fold in dates and apricots, and almonds.
- Pour into a greased 9-in . by 5- in loaf pan
- MAKE TOPPING
- Combine the butter, flour, sugars, spices, and almonds, and blend till mixture resembles course granola. Spread over top of bread and bake at
- 350 DEGREES for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- ENJOY YOUR TEA!!!