WHOLE WHEAT MULTI-GRAIN BREAD RINGWhen you like to bake and you run out of all-purpose flour, you try to figure what alternative ingredients you have to work with. I had an urge to bake some bread and I did have some wheat flour but it seems when I use just wheat flour for the recipe it comes out dry , not too crusty, and very bland tasting. So, I looked around in my kitchen and proceeded to tweak and improvise whole wheat bread to conform to my standards of good taste, moist, and crusty bread. I present to you my version……..
Whole Wheat Multi-Grain Bread Ring
Preheat oven to 450 degrees and if you have a baking stone, place that in oven to heat:
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 and 3/4 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup of molasses
- 1 package of active dry yeast (2- 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter (cooled)
- 2 medium potatoes cooked and mashed good (cooled)
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 3/4 cup whole flax meal flour
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 3/4 cup oat bran
- 1/2 cup dark rye flour
- EGG WASH: 1 egg mixed with a 1/3 cup milk
- poppy seeds
- Mix 3 cups of whole wheat flour with 1 and 1/2 cups of warm water in a large glass bowl. Allow this to sit for about 30 minutes to break down the gluten
- In a small bowl mix together 1/4 cup water, 2-1/4 teaspoons yeast and 1/3 cup of molasses. Allow this to sit for about 10 minutes, or until the yeast is activated and mixture becomes bubbly
- Add the salt, the cooled melted butter, and yeast mixture to the wheat flour and water mixture.
- Add the cooked mashed potatoes to the mixture
- Combine remaining flours and bran together and gradually add to wheat mixture and stir well
- As the dough becomes harder to stir, pour it out onto a floured counter or board and begin to knead the dough. ( note: I used corn flour on my board because I did not have all-purpose flour.)
- Knead just enough to make a nice, non sticky dough.
- When ready place dough in a bowl covered with a cloth and place in a warm dry place and let it rise for 1 hour or until dough reaches top of bowl or doubles in size
- Punch the dough down with fist and pull the dough out of the bowl with floured hand and place on floured board or counter.
- knead for 3-4 minutes and shape dough into loaves by shaping into a circle and placing on corn meal scattered cookie sheet
- Allow loaves to rise again for 30min to 1 hour
- Brush egg wash over bread
- Sprinkle poppy seeds over wash
- Turn oven down to 425 degrees
- sprinkle corn meal on baking stone in oven (if you have one) or if you don’t , bake on cookie sheet
- Place loaves in oven
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and when tapped on bottom of bread sounds hollow, the bread is done!