TAPIOCA CREAM TART WITH STRAWBERRIES AND BANANAS
When it is summer and it is hot outside, you don’t feel like making something hot and too difficult for dessert! You want something light and cool and easy so you can get out of the kitchen and go in the yard and do some gardening or other outside activity. This tart is fast, easy ,cool, and elegant!
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1 pie crust (bottom only) for 8 inch tart shell
- 1 egg white
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 12 strawberries (sliced)
- 1 banana (sliced on the bias)
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of jam or marmalade (any flavor)
- 2 teaspoons of lemon juice ( to thin it out to a drizzle consistency)
- Bake crust in 400 degree oven and set aside to cool
- Make tapioca cream by beating egg white with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually add 3 tablespoons of sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Mix tapioca, remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar, milk, and egg yolk in medium saucepan. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat. Quickly stir in egg white mixture until well blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Cool slightly
- Pour into cooled pie shell and cool for 10 minutes.
- Place fruit on tart in a decorative manner , and alternate fruit to give it color coordination.
- Make glaze by heating everything together over low heat in a saucepan and heat till it forms a glaze, about 2-3 minutes.
- Drizzle or brush glaze over fruit and refrigerate for at least an hour.