CHOCOLATE CHIP TOFFE BARS
No time to make a pie, and looking for a fast recipe, so I made these toffee bars. Most likely not as good as the Beignets from the world famous Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans but these bars are quick, easy, and they satisfy the sweet tooth! Made with saltine crackers and mixed with butter and brown sugar these will bring out the sweet and the saltiness of your taste buds and give you some delight!
Set oven to 375 degrees
a 8 x8 0r 9×9 pan or glass dish
Crust or Toffee bottom
- 1 sleeve of Saltine crackers (about 30-35 crackers)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) of melted salted butter (if using unsalted butter add 1/4 teaspoon of salt)
- 1 tablespoon of AP flour
- 2 tablespoons of honey (optional)
8 ounces of chocolate chips
4 ounces of ground walnuts
3 ounces of powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt or coarse salt
- Crush saltine crackers with your hands in a bowl till they look like oatmeal
- Add brown sugar and melted butter to bowl and mix together
- Add flour and honey and mix
- Press crumbs into bottom of pan or glass dish. Make sure all holes are covered and crumbs are pressed together.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until bottom crust is formed and golden brown
- As soon as the crust comes out of the oven sprinkle all of the chocolate chips over the top making sure the whole crust is covered
- Mix walnuts, powdered sugar and sea salt in a bowl and mix together and spread over the chocolate chips
- Let cool
- Do not cut bars until firm. If you have to place them in the refrigerator to firm them up, do that. otherwise they will come out in smaller pieces and not form well!
- Easier than pie!