THE LIMON PIE WITH THE HIDDEN CRUST
Who said you can’t have a crust hidden under a meringue top in a pie? Who said you can only have Lemon Meringue or a Key lime Pie with Meringue as its topping? Why not put the two together and layer the sections like a cake. First, the bottom crust, then a layer of lemon pudding, then a layer of lime filling, followed on top with a pie crust, and on top of that is the Meringue that encases the whole pie together! This what I call the Limon Pie!1- 9inch Pie crust- (top and bottom)
400 degree oven
Roll bottom crust out and keep top dough refrigerated
Prick bottom and Pre-bake bottom pie shell for 10-15 minutes till lightly brown and not quite done
Take out of oven and let cool slightly
Lemon Curd/ Lime Curd
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 1- and 1/2 cups of hot water
- Juice of a small whole lime (about 4 tablespoons)
- Juice of a half of lemon
- 4 eggs separated (yolk and whites)
- 4 tablespoons of cold butter
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated lemon zest
- (add 3 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar to egg whites for meringue)
- In a sauce pan over medium low heat, combine 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1/3 cup of cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 cup of cold water. Mix well;
- Add 1- 1/2 cups of hot water and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until very thick
- Remove from heat and divide batter in half into 2 pans and place both pans over medium low heat.
- Add lime juice and zest to one pan and lemon juice and zest to the other
- Cook , stirring constantly till thickened
- In a bowl add 2 beaten egg yolks and beat in a little bit of the lime mixture and add back to the saucepan
- Do the same thing to the lemon curd by beating the other 2 egg yolks with a little lemon mixture and mix back into the saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly in both pans, for about 2 minutes longer.
- Take off the heat and whisk 2 tablespoons of cold butter in each pan and stir till blended.
- Let cool
- Pour lemon curd into pie shell making sure to cover bottom
- Pour lime curd over lemon curd covering all
- Turn up oven to 425 degrees
- Roll top pie crust out very thin and place and cut just to fit over lemon curd and not to fit over entire pie and tuck into pie filling.
- Place in 425 degree oven and cook pie for about 10-15 minutes or till top crust is light brown
- Take out of oven and leave oven on
- Make Meringue by placing egg whites in a bowl, adding sugar and cream of tartar and whipping with a mixer till it forms stiff peaks
- With a rubber s spatula spread meringue over pie covering to the edge lifting up with spatula to form spikes.
- Bake for 15 more minutes in oven till top and meringue is golden brown.
- Pull out of oven and cool
- When cooled, place in refrigerator for 3-4 hours to let pie set.