I AM THE MUFFIN MAN!
I am the muffin man, just for today! I make better pies than I do muffins, but these muffins came out good! We have Banana Nut Muffins, moist and tender, made with black rotting bananas (the best kind for muffins or bread) and also I made Cranberry Lime with just a hint of orange zest and matcha green tea. A staple in some restaurants and breakfast places, muffins can be made with many other ingredients and made with the same basic recipe and adapted to suit your taste. They also can be eaten any time of day and can come sweet or savory, big or small, with icing or powdered sugar, nuts or coconut, swirled on top like cupcakes or filled with jam or chocolate for a surprise inside!
I adapted this recipe for both muffins and substituting for the bananas and adding moisture with lime juice, matcha tea, and lime yogurt.
350 degree oven
Basic Banana Muffins/ Adapted Cranberry Lime Muffins w/ Matcha tea and Lime Yogurt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 ripe bananas (mashed good) [ For Cranberry Lime Muffins substitute and add 1/2 cup of lime juice, plus, 1/4 cup of lime yogurt or plain yogurt,plus 1/3 cup of cold water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of matcha tea powder or green tea and 1 cup of whole cranberries combined with 1 tablespoon of orange zest.}
- Dry ingredients:
- 1- 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- (add 1/2 cup of walnuts for banana muffins)
- In a large bowl mix shortening and sugar together and beat
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix together
- Beat in bananas or other ingredients for moisture substitute
- Mix dry ingredients together in another bowl
- Add to sugar mixture and mix
- Add nuts (for banana muffins)
- Grease and flour muffin cups inside
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean when inserted.