Customer: What is a cake doing in my Pie?
Waiter: The baker had Pie in his Eyes and got mixed up!
Try it, you’ll like it!
It is Fall here in New England and the flavors of squash and apple and pumpkin are filling the air. Those crisp mornings are beginning to wake you up and the red, yellow and gold leaves are falling down from the trees. Ah, the Autumn! It smells so good outside! But it also smells so good inside! I am making a pie filled with pumpkin! Or should I say, a cake? I am all confused! Ya, it is a pie, filled with a cake and topped with a orange marmalade cream cheese topping! You are probably confused too! All I can say It is real good! And when you are in the mood for pie, or cake? this is the answer to stop those cravings!
375 degree oven
1 pie shell (bottom only) unbaked
- 1/3 cup AP flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of pumpkin
- Combine flour,baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon,cloves, and salt in small bowl.
- Beat eggs and sugar in large bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Pour in unbaked pie shell
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly brown and filling is done but not quite set and still wobbling.
- Take out of oven and let cool
- 1 package (8 ounces) of cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of softened butter
- 4 tablespoons of orange marmalade
- 1 egg white ( whipped till soft peaks)
- 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup of crushed ginger snaps or crushed ginger cookies
- With a mixer or food processor mix cream cheese and sugar together and blend
- Add softened butter to mix and continue to blend
- Add orange marmalade to topping
- Whip egg white to soft peaks and fold into topping
- With a spatula spread topping over pie
- Place walnuts and crushed ginger cookies over pie/cake
- Refrigerate for at least an hour