SAVORY WHITE BEAN AND COLLARD GREENS PIE
A Vegan Pie, who knew that I would make a savory and healthy pie without butter and eggs! It’s against my principles, it’s against my cravings for sweet pies with loads of sugar and fat, it’s against my diet which contains lots of rich desserts and cholesterol that I should not have, but I declare, I like this Pie!! I did cheat and plopped some cheese on the top, but if you are a vegan, you can make it without it! I will admit that I put some butter in the crust, but you can make your own pie crust any way you want! It is a very tasty dish that is loaded with vegetables and vitamins! You have your beans for fiber, and your collard greens for helping keep cancer away and I also read that collard greens help lower your cholesterol and I know I need help with that! I also added a carrot and some green beans and we know they are good for you! So , the trick to a healthier and long life is to eat healthy , but I’m not going to give up sweets just yet, maybe I’ll just eat them in moderation!
350 degree oven
1 pie crust (bottom only) baked for 10 minutes
2 cups of chopped collard greens
1 carrot cut in pieces
1 handful of green beans
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 onion (diced fine)
3 garlic cloves (diced fine)
Heaping teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme
- In a medium saucepan fill halfway with cold water and wait for boil, drop vegetables into boiling water and boil till tender, Drain and set aside.
- In a fry pan heat olive oil over medium low heat and cook onion and garlic till transparent and add fresh thyme and remove from heat and set aside.
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1- 1/2 cups of navy beans or cannelloni beans (or one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 to -2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese (omit if you want)
- In a food processor pulse walnuts to a fine-crumb texture.
- Add the beans and 1 tablespoons of water and process (add another tablespoon of water if necessary to make mixture smooth)
- Add cornstarch and salt. Blend until cornstarch is no longer visable
- Add the onion and garlic mixture to the processor, first combine with spoon before processing. don’t completely blend in, use on and off pulse
- Now add vegetables using pulse on and off and don’t blend too much, you want the vegetable pieces showing in small pieces
- Spoon filling into partially baked crust, and smooth top with a spoon.
- Place shredded cheddar cheese over pie covering all. (if desired)
- Put a sprig of thyme in center of pie for garnish
- Bake for 40 minutes @350 degrees