CHICKEN, DATE, CARROT, AND APPLE TURNOVERSThe end of the fall growing season, and the farmers are ridding their late crops of colorful carrots of yellow and purples and white and orange. I could not just make a carrot pie, that would be not be too tasty although the carrots are delicious, but I need to add something to them and instead of pie why not a turnover? Yes, and I’ll add some chicken to make it savory, and also some dates to make it sweeter, and some apples to make it tart! I will add some herbs from under the fall leaves in the garden and also make a sauce with the homemade chicken stock I just made out of chicken bones. They will be easy to eat and healthy and not too sweet and they will fill my tummy and be very yummy!
Make filling first to allow for cooling
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast (cut in 1/4 inch pieces)
- Seasoned flour in bowl (salt and pepper and about 1 cup of flour) for dredging
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic diced fine
- 12 seedless dates (cut in small pieces)
- 1 cup of chicken stock or canned broth
- 2 apples (cored and diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon of tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon of sage
- 1/4 teaspoon of thyme
- salt and pepper to season
- 1/8 cup of heavy or light cream or 1/2 and 1/2
- In a large saute or fry pan over medium heat melt butter in pan and add garlic, saute for 2 minutes.
- Dredge chicken in seasoned four and use mesh basket to shake extra flour from chicken and add to pan
- Cook chicken slightly for few minutes and stir to brown a little bit
- Add dates to pan and saute
- Keep cooking till pan is dry and chicken is almost cooked
- Add apples and continue to cook
- Add chicken stock slowly, a little at a time, stirring after every increase.
- Add all herbs and salt and pepper
- Add 1/8 cup cream or 1/2 and 1/2
- Cook so all is incorporated
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature
- 5-6 carrots (cut in julienne or small slices)
- Bring uncovered medium pot of water to boil and add carrots. After water boils again cook 7 minutes, drain and plunge carrots into ice bath to stop the cooking.
400 degree oven
1 double pie crust (rolled out and rounds cut out with 5-6 inch cutter)
- On a floured board cut out rounds of pie dough, brush egg wash all over top of round circle
- Add about 2 tablespoons of cooled filling and add 2 pieces of carrot on top of filling so carrot jets out further than circle.
- Fold over dough to make half circle and move with spatula to sheet pan to be cooked.
- Repeat with remaining dough, gathering up loose pieces of dough and forming together to form more circles of dough.
- Brush top of turnover with egg wash and bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Makes about 18 turnovers