MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEARBEEF STEW FACE PIE
The holidays are filled with all kinds of happy, sad, stressful, joyous, frantic,crazy,emotional ,disappointing, and smiling faces. It seems like your emotions go up and down this time of year, from shopping for that special gift , to being happy with family and friends, and feeling stressed out from the roller coaster of having to do so much! It takes a toll on you! This Stew face is what some people look like when they are going around in a whirlwind and don’t know what to do!
I say take it easy, relax, count your blessings, and try to be happy! It only happens once a year and it gives you time to come together, and enjoy the wondrous season, and the most wonderful time of the year!
This Beef Stew Pie Tastes better than it looks!
THE BEEF STEW FACE PIE
2- (9 inch) pie crusts (top and bottom) uncooked
For this recipe I used a pressure cooker, but you can also cook it slowly on top of the stove (covered)
This filling need time to cool, it needs to be at room temperature before it can go into the pie crust so plan accordingly!
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 lb of steak ( I used NY sirloin) cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup of seasoned flour (flour, salt pepper)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup of tomato paste
- 4 cups of beef stock
- 1-1/2 cups of diced (1/4 inch) turnip (peeled)
- 1- 1/2 cups of peeled slice carrots
- 1- 1/2 cups of peeled diced (1/4 inch) potatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roux: 4 tablespoons of butter and 6 tablespoons of flour
- In a large soup pan or pressure cooker on top of stove, heat olive oil on medium high heat and wait till it sizzles a bit. Place seasoned flour in bowl and dip meat in flour and use sifter to get excess flour off and add to pan and saute slightly. Add onion and saute 1 minute. Add tomato paste and saute another minute. Add beef stock and cover. Turn down heat to low and simmer. (If using pressure cooker, place cover on, lock in place. turn heat down to medium and wait till you see steam coming out of top and remove from heat and place on side, remove cover when it is safe to do so) cook for 10 minutes and remove cover and add turnip and carrots. Place cover back on and cook on low heat till turnips and carrots are almost done. ( for pressure cooker, add turnips and carrots, place cover on and lock in place and turn to medium heat till top steams and remove from heat and wait till it is safe to remove cover) Remove cover and add potatoes. Place cover back on low heat and cook till done. (for pressure cooker, take cover off. add potatoes , place cover back on and cook on medium heat till done) Simmer on low till everything is tender and take cover off, and remove from heat. (pressure cooker, take off heat and wait till it is safe to do so and remove cover) ADD:
- 1 cup of frozen peas and stir in
Make a roux on top of stove in a sauce pan by melting the 4 tablespoons of butter on medium heat and stirring with a whisk and when melted adding 6 tablespoons of flour and keep stirring until well blended and cook a little bit more till lightly brown.
Add roux to stew and stir till blended. Cool stew completely or put in water bath to cool faster! Must be cool to put in pie crust!