MAPLE APPLE CRISP PIEAn apple a day keeps the doctor away! and anyway you can eat them surely gives you the vitality and energy to remain healthy in your everyday living. That is my philosophy for life, but maybe not a sweet pie with lots of sugar and butter, and yes in moderation! I think these are good for you because they make you feel better when you eat them and reduce your stress in a way no other stress reliever works! But I say again, in moderation! If you have a craving, react to it, be good to yourself, you deserve it! If you don’t give in, you might do something else, like be angry and frustrated and unable to cope! The solution is to not make it a habit and a little something goes a long way. So I say. take care of yourself, eat healthy foods, and exercise. It’s a new year, have resolutions and stick with them, but give yourself a treat once and a while, you will feel a little better!
1 pie crust (bottom only, uncooked)
- 3 lbs of apples (peeled, cored, cut in round ring slices, 1/8 inch thick)
- juice of 1 whole lemon
- 1 stick of butter (8 tablespoons) add 1/4 teaspoon of salt if unsalted
- 1/3 cup of packed brown sugar
- Place round ring slices of apples in large bowl, add juice of 1 lemon and stir to coat apples
- In a large saute pan or fry pan melt butter over medium and add brown sugar and mix till just bubbling.
- Working in batches saute apple ring slices on both sides slightly and remove to holding container or bowl when coated with sugar/butter mixture and cool
3/4 cup of Maple Syrup (divided)
- After pie crust is made place maple syrup in small bowl and with a pastry brush baste the whole bottom and sides and top of the crust with maple syrup.
- Save the rest of maple syrup in the bowl and add to it: 4 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of flour and mix together for topping.
- In bottom of pie place apples in circular placement, one on top of one another, overlapped a little, and continue till all are used.
- Place topping over the top , covering all
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 35-40 minutes or until top of pie is lightly brown.
- Serve with whipped cream
- Garnish with clementine if desired.
- Enjoy in moderation!