CHOCOLATE RICHES PIE You have found the pot of gold, which in this case is chocolate! A pie, that is, a pie that is filled with dark, milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate chips, some special dark cocoa, a wee bit of that hazelnut cocoa spread called Nutella, a little espresso powder, because it pairs so nicely with chocolate, and sugar, eggs, and of course butter, which binds everything together. This is not a low calorie pie, and I would suggest that any of you that made your new years resolution to lose weight not have one slice of this pie, because this is habit forming! But, for those of you that love chocolate, this is the pie for you, and you have found your riches. Perhaps, this could be your Valentines day pie, and dotted with a little bit of whipped cream, could spread your love for that special person in your life and send a message that they too can experience being rich with a chocolate pie! 1 – 9 inch uncooked Pie Crust (bottom only)
350 degree oven
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon of special dutch dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 whole eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup of packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 3/4 cup of softened (room temperature) butter
- 5 tablespoons of Nutella spread
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 1 – 1/2 cups of walnut halfs
- In a small bowl mix flour,cocoa, espresso powder, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, and with an electric mixer beat the 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk on high-speed until thick and foamy.
- Add brown sugar and sugar, a little at a time, to eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Add softened butter and mix together.
- Add flour mixture, a little at a time, and mix
- Add Nutella to bowl and mix
- Add vanilla, and mix
- Fold in the chocolate chips using a rubber spatula or spoon.
- Spread in a 9 inch unbaked pie shell and top with walnut halfs.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45-50 minutes or until pie is golden brown and set.
- To serve, top with whipped cream.